The first All-Star Game that "doesn't count" has come and gone and I am pleasantly surprised with how much fun it was! I was originally fearful that it may lose the competitiveness or quality, but I don't feel like it did.
In addition to it still being a competitive game, there were some fun moments we'd never seen before. So I decided to put together my top five moments from the 2017 All-Star Game!
5. The fun being had by the players - Hear me out, I know it's an All-Star Game and it should be a fun experience for them, but with it "not counting" this year it felt more relaxed and fun without losing its competitive edge. I loved seeing the guys that played together at the World Baseball Classic interact and act just like they did a few short months ago while that was taking place. Whether it was teammates from the Major's, the WBC, or they knew each other from playing in a different setting, seeing their personalities come out made the 2017 All-Star Game different.
4. Nellie Cruz's selfie with Joe West - This was just a fun moment that was really unexpected. You could tell Joe West was like no, not doing it and then just gave up haha - I also liked that they took the picture and Cruz just slid the phone in his back pocket and went back to playing ball!
3. The insane young talent - I know, cliche of me. But, come on, there were so many impressive guys out there that are crazy young! The Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers alone sent quite a few guys with enormous amounts of talent. To see that showcased in an All-Star Game setting is just something that always impresses me.
2. The Joe Buck/Bryce Harper football exchange - My two favorite sports crossed over and it was awesome! The in game interviews were cool anyway, but Harper just took over and started asking about Dak and the Cowboys (of course I love Dak and Zeke so that was an added bonus!). It was cool to hear the in game interview and hear just a casual conversation about the upcoming football season. More interviews like this please!
1. Yadier Molina - I'm obviously a little biased, but he had a great game! I loved the gold chest protector and helmet (I'm extra like that guys, sorry!), I loved the homerun to tie it, I loved the smile rounding the bases, and my favorite part was by far the hair flip in front of Bryce Harper when he got back to the dugout.. perfect.
Bonus For Me! - The two pitchers I cared most about had great outings! Carlos Martinez had 4 strikeouts in 2 innings, with a handful over 100 miles per hour on the gun. And the pride of Mizzou Baseball, Mr. Scherzer, threw a solid first inning. Way to represent my favorite team and my alma mater boys! ;)
Now bring on the second half of baseball!!
What were your favorite parts of the 2017 All-Star Game?!